Friday, December 29, 2017

Future-Self vs. Present-Self: Tackling Procrastination

Procrastination is the delaying or postponing of action.  With the New Year just a few days away, what's sitting on the "life bench" waiting to get in the game?

Author and entrepreneur, James Clear articulates procrastination as the internal struggle of the Present-Self versus the Future-Self. The Present-Self can't see the future benefits of starting now, due to living in a state of pleasure seeking and instant gratification.

I had to fight my procrastination monster by executing a career/life game plan for myself. I set-up a writing schedule and workout schedule.  To accomplish my career goals - I have to write!  Likewise to achieve and maintain my physical goals - I have to workout! 


Many days I have no desire of going to the gym, I want to surf the internet and snack on chips, but then I imagine walking on the beach in Ghana with my back out.  So I ease on down to the gym and hit the elliptical on Fat Burn!  My Future-Self wins! To satisfy my Present-Self; I listen to my favorite African Hip-Hop playlist as I sweat the stress and back-fat away. 

My Present-Self loves new dresses and pedicures every week. Then my Future-Self loudly whispers, "you already have dresses you've only worn once! You haven't walked any red-carpets, so close pop-up shop advertisement - Invest in Bitcoin and Secure my legacy with Gold!"

Tackling procrastination with a defensive game plan sacks
counter-productive behaviors at the line of scrimmage.  (I know a little something-something about football). 


3 Ways to Tackle Procrastination

1. Have an accountability partner.  Share plans with someone who will hold you accountable to put action to your goals. Have a set time to communicate updates, receive feedback and motivation. 

2. Pair procrastinating tasks with enjoyable tasks. On many occasions, I like pairing writing with a nice glass of wine. When it's gym time, I tune the earbuds to my favorite E.L. song and get this body moving!

3. Love your Future-Self while Motivating your Present-Self
Love your potential Future-Self and let your Present-Self move you to decisive action. Imagine and love the way it will feel to wear that little black dress without having to wear a lung collapsing girdle. Love the feeling of success when completing a degree and having the option of choosing from three job offers! Love your Future-Self enough by keeping your Present-Self in check! 


Don't procrastinate! Make the present work for your best future! 

No comments:

Post a Comment