Tuesday, April 12, 2016

I'm Tripping, Part I

I just got back from GHANA!  I started preparing for my trip last year.  During my waiting period, the spark of traveling to Africa had been lit.  Since childhood, I always felt a connection to Africa.  I guess it was something in my ancestral DNA, trying to manifest. 
  
Sidebar:  Africa is a continent housing over 54 countries, 9 territories and 2 independent states.  Africa is not a country. We have to reeducate ourselves.

I was attracted to everything about the continent, but a deeper interest in Ghana was growing.  During my curiosity stage, I was lucky to befriend many Ghanaians on Facebook.  I was introduced to different aspects of the culture, history, differences in family dynamics and some politics.

While waiting and preparing myself for a new wave in my life, I decided to finally do it and just renew my passport and go to Ghana.  Since I was being courted by a very nice Ghanaian man - why not visit his country and see him in his element, while checking something off of my Living My Life list.

After visiting the CDC site, I really only needed one vaccine and there were no health alerts of Ebola or any other wild insect disease.  I would need a prescription for malaria to take right before, during, and after my trip and I was advised to only drink bottled water.

Once I put action to my thoughts, things started to fall in place with ease.  I renewed my passport with no major problems.  I had my flight.  My family could take care of my children while I traveled and I was approved for a 3 year visa. Nothing was holding me back!

Except for one thing... the fear of others around me.

"Why are you going to Africa, alone?" 

"It's not safe!"
 "Do women have rights over there?" 

"Carrice, you tripping, why are you doing this!?"

I got all sorts of questions and warnings from family and acquaintances.   To their surprise, I didn't let their fears control or dictate my actions and my life.  I explained what needed to be explained, I kissed and high-fived my children, then boarded my KLM flight to Ghana.

I was tripping!  I was tripping (literally) all the way to Ghana to experience my life.  I was going to experience whatever Ghana had to offer.  I was going to meet my boyfriend's family and finally step foot on African soil.  I wasn't afraid! 

Waiting to board my first 8 hour flight, I felt an empowering peace.  My closest friends were excited for me and wished me the best.  My children were excited to see their mother living out one of her life goals.  I was ready to take this step physically alone.

Spiritually, I felt a circle of  cheering and dancing African ancestors, whom left the continent by force, all around me.  Their spirits were now going back to the continent with me and they were there to support me every step of the way.

I was scheduled to take flight on a Boeing 787, but I was already flying.  I had moved past fear and procrastination.  I was now following my intuition and experiencing My Life.

I was nestled in my window seat, telling Hot-lanta see you later.  There was no turning back, I would be in Ghana in 16 hours.

Yes, I was tripping.  I was tripping because I wanted to visit a country where the majority of the people look like me.  I felt my life changing.  I didn't know the depths, but I was ready for my experience.

I greeted my seat buddy.  Smiled to myself and prepared for take-off...



www.carricequinniewriter.com  













No comments:

Post a Comment